Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Barefoot Contessa

WWBCD?
What would the Barefoot Contessa Do?
{only die hard Gilmore Girls fans...like myself...may get that}

So I love cooking.
And I love Ina Garten...LOVE.
So does my sis Amanda.
We watch her show, talk about her recipes, buy her cookbooks, make her recipes, and daydream about being her and living her swanky life in the Hamptons.
She's legit. Every recipe I've made has been delicious and become a favorite.

So when Ken and I decided to drive out to the Hamptons for a day I'm immediately thought of Ina.
Amanda and I joked about it for a few days. I remembered that in one of her cookbooks she included a list of her favorite places to eat, shop, and visit. I figured I'd use her list to find some things to do. And part of me thought it couldn't hurt my chances of running into her if I went to her favorite places.
{I was 90% joking 10% serious}


Our very first stop was a little specialty foods store called "Loaves and Fishes".





We looked around and grabbed a few things to eat for lunch. Out in front of the store was one little picnic table so we sat down to eat and a few minutes later I looked over my shoulder and a car pulled in and Ina and her husband Jeffrey got out and walked inside. 
I think my jaw dropped. I think I said to Ken "That's the Barefoot Contessa!"
Even Ken was like "No way?"
It was just so weird after joking about it for a day and not seriously thinking I'd see her.
I just sat there and Ken said "Well...you have to go in and talk to her."

So we went back inside to say hi.

 Waiting to talk to her.



She was super nice, asked where we were from and what we were doing in the Hamptons.
I told her I loved her recipes.
And I told her we were actually at "Loaves and Fishes" on her recommendation and I had her cookbook and was using her list of places to visit in the Hamptons.
She genuinely seemed flattered.
She talked to the kids and took pictures with us.
Jeffrey was around too.


My only regret is I should have said
"I love your white pizza with arugula!"


I think I'm gonna celebrate this day every year.
November 20th
The day I met the Barefoot Contessa.
And I think I'll celebrate by making her yummy food because
"Who wouldn't like that?"

Here are some of my favorite Ina recipes:
{It's a toss up between the pizza and both salmon recipes for my favorite...all so good.}


White Pizzas with Arugula

Asian Grilled Salmon

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad

Parmesan Roasted Broccoli

Warm French Lentils

2 comments:

Casey said...

the arugula pizza looks really good. why have i not tried more of her recipes? i tried several lentil soup recipes before i found our favorite which is her recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lentil-vegetable-soup-recipe/index.html

i tried the roasted broccoli before, but it came out really salty- i must have mixed something up, so i'm going to try that one again. if you have more of her recipes that you like, send them to me!

L said...

WHAT??? I'm so jealous of this... She is a REAL celebrity to me. I'd rather meet her than any movie star. SERIOUSLY. That is amazing! Love it!