Monday, June 16, 2014

Venice

 We left the castle in Tuscany and drove 3 hours to a hotel in a town near Venice. When we got there Dad realized there was a bus that takes you right to Venice (about 30 min) and the bus stop was right outside our door. Dad was sure that would be much easier than driving in and parking. And it was. So we went to Venice for the afternoon and evening.


 And oh my goodness we loved Venice!
We weren't even sure we were going to go on this trip but it was on the way to Vienna so we did. 
It's really touristy, which I don't ever like, but I just ignored that and the city itself is amazing. I could have photographed every house, window, shop, canal, view...all were incredible. I did in fact take tons of pictures. And I'm putting most of them here because I just can't edit this batch. It's hard to imagine how it ever came to be.



























 Rialto Bridge





 We rode down the Grand Canal and got off at St. Mark's square to wander.  We made our way out of the tourist traps and just wandered some of the quieter streets.


























 St. Marks Square


 The cathedral was under construction















 The Cathedral







 The Bridge of Sighs
Prisoners had to walk across it into the prison.





















Yummy treats














 Loved the porch and rooftop garden








 Good water














We walked through this square that looked like it had almost no tourists. Lots of local residents were hanging out and kids were playing. It was great.






 There was a garden planted in the square.


 Dad took us to a restaurant he goes to every time he's in Venice.
La Zucca
(Pumpkin)
As soon as I knew what the name meant I was sure I would love it.
It just sounded like my kind of restaurant.


 Dad and I had the pumpkin flan. It had cheese and pumpkin seeds on top. YUM


 And stuffed mushrooms. YUM


 Ken got a pasta dish. YUM
The kids shared a vegetable lasagna. YUM
They gobbled it up and Julius couldn't stop talking about it all the way home.






0 comments: